Church of the Assumption of Komotini

The Church of the Assumption is located on the eastern side inside the of fortress wall of Komotini.

1/3809/1_large.jpg

Church of the Assumption

 
 
Description: The Church of the Assumption is located on the eastern side inside the fortress. Its tetraklitos with splint (narthex), wooden roof and floor is at a lower level than the surrounding area. It was built during the Ottoman rule (1800) on the foundations of a Byzantine church. It is mentioned 1548 by the traveler Pierre Belon who passed through the town in 1548. The church in its present form was restored and has been declared a historical monument. 
The organisation responsible for the monument’s upkeep is the 15th EVA (Preservation body) which is itself located inside the castle on the east side. 
 
Municipality of Komotini.
 

0 reviews from our community

Very Poor
Poor
Average
Good
Excellent
00000
0

Be the first to write a review

Download our app

General sponsors

Armenia

USAID

Implementation of the BSSRC project in Armenia and development of the BSSRC web portal and mobile applications were co-funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Enterprise Development and Market Competitiveness (EDMC) project. The contents of the web portal and mobile applications are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

The Honorary Consul for Italy in Gyumri

ARMINCO

Armenian Travel Bureau

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Login using social accounts