• Greece
  • Drama
  • 20th part of Drama cultural routes - “EKPAEDEUTERIA”

20th part of Drama cultural routes - “EKPAEDEUTERIA”

2500 YEARS OF HISTORY IN ONE HOUR

Drama Cultural Route

1/6057/cover_3_custom.jpg

20th part of Drama cultural routes - “EKPAEDEUTERIA” - SCHOOL OF THE GREEK ORTHODOX COMMUNITY OF DRAMA

THE “EKPAEDEUTERIA SCHOOL of the Greek Orthodox Community of Drama” is located on Dimitrios Gounaris Street. It was built in 1908 by bishop Chrysostomos, and funded by the residents of Drama and the Pavlos Melas family, to meet the educational needs of the Christians of Drama. The building consists of a semi-basement and two floors. It was completed in 1909. Viewed from the top, it has the shape of the Greek letter “Π” (U-shaped), the initial letter of Pavlos Melas’ first name. The main entrance is situated in the center of the façade, on the ground floor. The top of the windows is slightly arched on the ground floor and horizontal on the upper floor. The threshold of the side entrance (on the East side) features a built-in marble plaque with the inscription: “During the prelateship of Archbishop Chrysostomos and with the financial support of donor Melas and codonors the Orthodox Greeks of Drama, this most beautiful edifice of the Muses was erected, where upon entering, you, children of Greeks, draw spiritual delight from the springs of your ancestral Christian and Hellenic wisdom. 1909”.
 
The “Ekpaedeuteria” School is an important monument for Chrysostomos’ activities in the region during the Macedonian Struggle. On the Southeast side of the school yard, there is a splendid full size marble statue of the national martyr bishop, work of sculptor Konstantinos T. Dimitriadis from Stenimachos (1881-1943), the unveiling of which took place on 30th August 1959.
 

0 reviews from our community

Very Poor
Poor
Average
Good
Excellent
00000
0

Be the first to write a review

  • Greece
  • Drama
  • 20th part of Drama cultural routes - “EKPAEDEUTERIA”

Download our app

General sponsors

Armenia

USAID

Implementation of the BSSRC project in Armenia and development of the BSSRC web portal and mobile applications were co-funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Enterprise Development and Market Competitiveness (EDMC) project. The contents of the web portal and mobile applications are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

The Honorary Consul for Italy in Gyumri

ARMINCO

Armenian Travel Bureau

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Login using social accounts