Jews of Alexandroupolis

Jews

Jews of Alexandroupolis

1/1947/alexandroupolis_1_medium.jpg

Jews of Alexandroupolis

Jews of Alexandroupolis

Alexandroupolis is a fairly new town. Initially it was just a fishing village called Dede-agats. However, during the Ottoman period the village grew into a small town thanks in large part to the construction in 1850 of the railway. Thanks to the railway, the town grew and attracted diverse cultural groups including Armenians, Roman Catholics, Turks, Greeks and Jews.

The Jews settled in the town at the end of the 19th century. A synagogue was built at Mazaraki Street. The Jews worked in textiles, money changing and glass making. By 1940, the community was about 140 persons. Tragically, the Fascists deported the community and only 4 survived the war. Today, there are no Jews living in Alexandroupolis.


0 reviews from our community

Very Poor
Poor
Average
Good
Excellent
00000
0

Be the first to write a review

  •  

    Address Jewish Centre and Committee of Greece. Voulis 36; Athens 10557

  •  

    Telephone 00302103244315-8

  •  

    Email hhkis@hellasnet.gr

  •  

    Website

Download our app

General sponsors

Armenia

USAID

Implementation of the BSSRC project in Armenia and development of the BSSRC web portal and mobile applications were co-funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Enterprise Development and Market Competitiveness (EDMC) project. The contents of the web portal and mobile applications are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

The Honorary Consul for Italy in Gyumri

ARMINCO

Armenian Travel Bureau

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Login using social accounts