Town of Kavala

Many interesting walking routes traverse this historic town which are worth seeing by the visitor

1/1701/02_03_2014_kavala_custom.jpg

Town of Kavala

In the reign of Philip II, father of Alexander the Great, flourished here the seaport of Neapolis (Kavala) which served the city of Philippi. In 49 AD St. Paul disembarked in the port and began preaching for the first time Christianity in Europe. In the 8th century AD the town changed its name to Christoupoli. In 1391 the town was destroyed and then occupied by the Turks. In 1470 it is first mentioned as Kavala . During the 18th century the port became an important trading post for European trade. In 1913 with the Balkan Wars Ottoman rule came to and end.

 

Many interesting walking routes traverse this historic town which are worth seeing by the visitor:

1.       Old Town

2.       Fortress

3.       Arches

4.       The Imaret Mosque

5.       Halil Bey Complex

6.       The house of Mehmet Ali

7.       Monument to St. Paul

8.       Archaeological Museum

9.       Tobacco Museum

10.   The neoclassical style of Cyprus Street

11.   Kapnergati Square

12.   The port


0 reviews from our community

Very Poor
Poor
Average
Good
Excellent
00000
0

Be the first to write a review

Download our app

General sponsors

Armenia

USAID

Implementation of the BSSRC project in Armenia and development of the BSSRC web portal and mobile applications were co-funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Enterprise Development and Market Competitiveness (EDMC) project. The contents of the web portal and mobile applications are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

The Honorary Consul for Italy in Gyumri

ARMINCO

Armenian Travel Bureau

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Login using social accounts