Petrota

At Petrota, in the Evros prefecture, the mining of the volcanic and sandstone rocks has been going on since antiquity. This lasted until the mid 20th century.

1/4095/5_medium.jpg

Village of Petrota and the stone quarry

At Petrota Evros, the mining of the volcanic and sandstone rocks has been going on since antiquity. This lasted until the mid 20th century. The quarried stone was used as millstones, for building material and for making various household items such as drinking troughs for animals, foundations and linings of wells, mortars, hand mills, etc,.  Moreover, these stones were the raw material for the construction of important monuments in the wider region, such as Thracian domed tomb (4th century BC), the Byzantine castle in Mezek, Bulgaria  (11th century AD), the post-Byzantine castle of Petrota (16th century AD), the bridge of Mustafa Pasha at Svilengrad (528-1529 AD ), churches in the surrounding area such as Pentalofou (1858 AD), the “Therapy” (1895 AD) and others. It should be noted that at this spot starts the famous stone paths: a) Petrota-Mezek-Svilengrad and b ) Petrota-Ormenio-Dikaia–Marasia-Karagatz-Adrianople. These stone paths are known as “Kastrinis Strata”. Source : http: / / www.geo.auth.gr/yliko/useful/docs/2007_HMERIDA_PETRWTA.pdf


0 reviews from our community

Very Poor
Poor
Average
Good
Excellent
00000
0

Be the first to write a review

Download our app

General sponsors

Armenia

USAID

Implementation of the BSSRC project in Armenia and development of the BSSRC web portal and mobile applications were co-funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Enterprise Development and Market Competitiveness (EDMC) project. The contents of the web portal and mobile applications are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

The Honorary Consul for Italy in Gyumri

ARMINCO

Armenian Travel Bureau

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Login using social accounts